View Single Post
Old 01-01-2013, 09:40 PM
BATfishMAN

Reef_Geek is on a distinguished road

I had to take a sec to see if you're talking about freshwater or saltwater angels.

Saltwater angels (Centropyge spp) have long larval periods (60 days+) and spawn pelagic eggs that hatch the same day, so obviously not what you have.

I spawned freshwater angels years ago. There's plenty on the web about it. The key to success for me was to have a dedicated tank to them and to cover all sides with plastic. They eat their eggs 1) if they're dead, 2) if they're inexperienced, 3) if they feel threatened (ie eggs will be lost anyway, too much activity around, they picked a bad spawn site, might as well eat them.)

It sounds like there may be a fertilization or broodstock nutrition issue with the high percentage of dead eggs. Maybe they'll get it right after a few spawnings. I had success leaving the eggs with the parents for incubation, where they'll just eat the infected/dead eggs. Once free swimming, you have to separate the larvae from parents. Naturally this is when they would disperse (discus is different). Feed newly hatched brine shrimp and wean them onto dried foods.

Warning- don't expect more than a buck per angel (body at loonie size) from your LFS. they're not particularly valuable, so only do this for fun and your enjoyment. Large scale farms raise FW angels out of ponds and have low expenses.