View Single Post
Old 01-13-2017, 01:44 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

If I were you, I would get a second test on that PO4 with a different kit just to confirm. PO4 at 2.0 ppm is unusually high for a reef tank. I don't usually see it that high even in poorly maintained, overstocked tanks.

Either way, Lanthanum chloride products like Foz Down and others are a good option when PO4 is that high because it's usually cheaper and the rocks and sand will leach PO4 for quite awhile. Some products are much more concentrated than other products, so follow directions closely until you know how much a dose will affect your tank. If you lower PO4 too quickly you will surely cause STN or even RTN. Some people say some fish are sensitive to LC, but I haven't seen it myself. I do a bunch of small doses though instead of big ones.

GFO is tried and true. You can use it in a bag. I find if you put the bag in the overflow near the drain or under the teeth so the water falls on it it will work better. It also works better if you gently manipulate the bag a little bit (best description I can come up with lol) a couple times a week. Reactor is the best bet though, but be careful about sucking PO4 out too fast too!

Any bacteria-based systems like NOPOX, biopellets, etc will not affect PO4 enough for you to get ahead at 2.0 ppm, so I wouldn't consider that an option. What is NO3 at?

Some other things to consider...pellet and flake foods as well as seaweed and high-protein frozen foods are all high in phosphorus. Avoid anything with bones in it such as Silversides (for anemones) as bones are very high in phosphorus. Plain, frozen Brine Shrimp are one of the lowest phosphorus foods you could pick, though it is also lower in nutrition, so it's best to not be the sole source of food.

SPS fanatic.