View Single Post
Old 01-13-2017, 04:58 AM

DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road
Question Phosphate Reduction

Hey folks, im looking at different ways to reduce my phosphate levels in my 72g tank. Recently I have saw an increase in brown and green algae. When I tested my phosphates before my vacation they were around 2 ppm (I know this is ridiculous!). I am returning to my tank on Sunday and need to get the phosphates under control. I have a heavy bio-load from my fish and have a new skimmer (Ice Cap K2-160) waiting to be picked up.

I will eventually move the tank over to my new 150g (build will start soon) which should help. In the mean time I would like to reduce the phosphates to an acceptable limit, as close to zero. I currently do monthly water changes of 20g, blow the rocks with a powerhead and clean th sand. I currently run a carbon bag in my sump (25g). I do not have any media reactors (looking at purchasing) but I'm wondering if I should run gfo or bio pellets.

Looking for people's advice, as I don't want this to kill all my sps and zoas. I have noticed that my LPS have not been looking good (Chalice and Candy Cane) although my hammer and torch seem to be fine. Looking for any advice or suggestions to get this under control as setting up the new tank is still a couple mo this away.

Thanks guys!