Thread: Sump Flow Rate
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2010, 04:14 AM

Lampshade is on a distinguished road

I drilled out my refugium overflow inside the sump from 1/4inch to 1/2inch holes, cut down the noise a LOT, so i cranked up the main return, slowed my refugium a bit to keep it where it was. Seems great, according to the dart gold specs i should have about 2000gph through my sump right now,(3 elbows+4ft head) refugium's taking about 500 of that flow, i may slow that down. That means i have about 1500gph going past my skimmer, overflows are quiet, i might just leave this.

My refugiums about 25 gallons, so 500gph may be way too much once i get cheato in there, and i'm almost maxed on my 1 1/4" return on the skimmer side, so i don't think i'll be able to keep the high flow, but I"ll give it a try for a bit.

Thanks all for the input, should be an interesting experiment as everything comes together.

And after getting a phonecall from my wife about "i heard some spashing and the hose had come out of the sump and was spraying on the floor"... Maybe 1500gph onto my carpet was a bad idea? Or maybe a 5 cent zap strap that i didn't use because i'm moving stuff around could have saved a lot of mess, haha.