View Single Post
Old 03-06-2015, 09:35 PM

reefwithareefer is on a distinguished road

I bought 2 of the same pumps. One for waste and one for new. I mix my salt in a 50 gal the basement. The waste pump is plugged into the Apex and sits in the sump. The new salt pump sits in the 50 barrel and is plugged into the apex as well.

All the next events happen when the powerheads are set to the lowest speed, and return pump is off as well, so the fish can eat while the water change happens.

The apex turns on the Apex AFS at 6:56 am, this dumps the fish food into a funnel that is connected to a 1" pipe. The end of the pipe is in front of the external return pump inlet. The pellets fall down the pipe and are sucked up by the return pump and pushed into the DT.

The Apex then shuts down the return pump at 6:58 am, the sump fills up for 2 mins, then the waste pump goes on for 3 mins. This pumps out 3 gals. The hose is connected into my house plumbing with an ABS barbed wye.
The waste pump goes off and then the new salt water is pumped from the barrel to the sump for 3.07 mins. I made sure this always adds a little more water then less. This way my ATO does not come on. I have a low and high water floats hooked up to the apex BOB in case the pumps do something wrong. There is also an Apex water detector set up at sump area. Everything is on an email alarm if something goes wrong.

Once new salt is done pumping, the return pump starts up one min after.

This happens every two days.

been doing this for 6 months or so and all works great