View Single Post
Old 04-04-2020, 09:01 PM

Bill1119 is on a distinguished road
Default Looking for feedback, Vodka / Carbon Dosing, Big Tank, Big Nitrates

I am taking a run at resurrecting for tank.
It has been running for 4 years, and is an upgrade from a previous 180 gallon.
It has basic corals mushrooms polyps, leather and a larger fish population, with a few show fish.

The tank is 270 Gallons, and sump volume is about 100 gallons (actual water volume) The sump contains a refegium section that I grow Caulerpa in.

I am testing with a red sea kit, and have to dilute the samples to get an ish range, currently testing between 250 and 300 ppm of Nitrate.
The nitrate has been a problem since the move from the 180 gallon tank, and subsequent power outages that wreaked havoc on my tank.

I had started this process a year and a half ago, but got pulled away by work and wasn't able to continue the vodka dosing on a daily basis.
The last time around I followed the recommended process of 0.1ml / 25 gal for 1-3 days, then 0.2ml / 25 gal for 4-7 days then increased 0.5ml per week after that (0.5 total)
Last time I took the Nitrates from >300ppm to 120 ppm but it took about 6 months combined with 50 gallons water changes 2-3 times per month.
I had seen some theories that the nitrates will saturate the rock and sand, and at levels like this, there will be a slow decline, because nitrates are released from the rock and sand as it is removed from the water.

I would like to take a more aggressive approach with the vodka dosing, but I have read alot of cautionary advice against this. I do not think it is unreasonable between the system volume and the level of nitrates,

Due to COVID I will have time on my hands this year to monitor closely and keep the daily dosing consistent.

Hope to find someone on this forum that has experience, that may be able to weigh in on reasonable dosing increases for the vodka.

TIA