View Single Post
Old 08-31-2015, 12:05 AM

Nuggs is on a distinguished road

So in the last 2 weeks since I got the livestock in, I've mostly just been rearranging coral and placing frags. I need to get up a full list of the coral.

I did upgrade the light to an AI Prime (using their mounting bracket), I've got to say I love the thing. The customizability and the wifi out of the box make the thing awesome. Currently running 18.5K @ 60%

I also picked up the IM Desktop size skimmer and reactor. The reactor is currently running Bio Pellets. The skimmer was a bit noisy for the first 2 days but then quieted right up. I couldn't figure out my I couldn't get a proper head of foam out of it though. Figured it was just going to require a breakin period, but then I noticed this:

The IM QA department really failed on this one. The actual neck and the forcing cone aren't aligned, so the foam head starts to form and then just leaks over into the cup. I have the call the supplier and IM on Monday and see what can be done. Hoping I can just get a collection cup sent out vs having to RMA the whole unit.

I had upgraded the return pump to a Cobalt Aquatics MJ1200, which I found was the perfect amount of flow. Corals were doing great and no detritus settled. Apparently my Purple Firefish thought otherwise and won't come out if the pump was on. I did go back to the OEM pump from IM. Its 211 GPH va the 296 GPH of the 1200. He still stayed hidden. Given that the flow didn't make a difference and the OEM pump is really loud, I went back to the 1200 with a TLF ball valve in there. I'll slowly throttle the flow up over 2 weeks and see if that acclimates him. There is the possibility that I may pull the thing and put in a Jebao DC1200 or DC2000 yet.

After selling off the old 150G I was finally able to get the Fusion moved into its spot and then came the wiring job.

At the same time I picked up a Apex Jr from a local reefer and the Jebao Module to run my RW-4s. I simply love the increased flexibility the Apex fives me with those pumps. Then a week later the opportunity presented itself to get a used Full Apex. I of course jumped at it and just finished the wiring last night.