View Single Post
Old 01-21-2012, 01:27 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkoD View Post
Oh ok. But still to level it out, foam would work, right??

it would, i guess the question goes from what i remeber is if your side panels of glass sits on your bottom then foam is ok and if the sides come down past the bottom pane then no foam?? cant quite remember and i cant find the link i believe it was anthonys tank who blew out(seahorse fanatic) because of foam or at least i think it was him anyways lol :P

if theres trim on the bottom and the tank is raised i would think with the weight of the tank settling on the foam theres a possibility of the tank shifting or cracking(not guaranteed as i have ran tanks with foam under raised tanks)where as if it were on solid ply or other wood then it wouldnt shift ,only what the stand does .

if your building a big tank then a metal stand is best to reduce any possibility of wood settling or shrinking, small tanks i wouldnt really worry about it but anything over 100g's and i would start questioning on whether or not the foam is a good choice

i always shim my tanks as i fill them and adjust as necessary so level has never been a real problem for me, smaller tanks ive shimed the stand when full but bigger tanks i level as its filling using a level on both directions and checking diagnally

wish i could find that link, the search engine here needs some updating when you type common words into the search box to much junk comes up lol:P