View Single Post
Old 03-12-2007, 02:23 AM

briansmyth is on a distinguished road
Default Aiptasia - oh, bother!

Found calcium hydroxide, not sodium hydroxide as mentioned in this thread, at Home Depot and got all kinds of powder. Mix with water, heat in microwave and check to see if it is the consistency that can be shot through your syringe.

This mix was not as effective as Joes's Juice, say 60% effective versus 90% effective, but it was way less expensive. I keep both on hand. although I've wondered if Joe's Juice loses some of it's effectiveness after it has been opened ... I try to use all of my Joe's Juice within a week of opening it. I have tried vinegar, lemon juice, and hot water and have less than a 30% success rate, I'd estimate.

There are 220 pounds of liverock in our 90 gallon tank, so there are places for aiptasia to grow and not be noticed ... I spend about 20 minutes every month hunting for this pest and also for majano.

Can these pests cause real trouble? Definitely yes. I have a pagoda which has been stung at it's edges by aiptasia, mojano and pulsating xenia - it has never recovered from this. I also have a finger leather coral ( nicknamed Sideshow Bob), it is now 1/6th of it's former size - a very, very small aiptasia was stinging the base of this coral where we couldn't easily see it. I think this coral was weakened enough that other health issues have arisen.