View Single Post
Old 11-24-2012, 05:31 PM

abcha0s is on a distinguished road

The difference between fresh water and salt water is the hardware and the chemistry.

The chemistry can be hard to perfect, but isn't all that difficult to understand. Essentially you need the right amount of good stuff and as little bad stuff as possible.

The hardware is a whole different story. A good deal of maintaining a healthly tank is dependent on the hardware. A good percentage of knowledge required to succeed is in selecting and maintaining the proper hardware.

The is an acedemic hobby and requires extensive research. That was one of the main appeals when I got started.

This hobby would be great for a self motivated 14 year old provided he knows what he is getting into. I would be very supportive of the initiative, but make him do some serious research before giving the final go ahead. Equate the costs to an extra curricular activity. The benefits are similar.

You might want to ask (on this forum) if anyone in your area would be willing to show their tanks and talk about the setup. I expect you will get some invitations. If your in the SE (or don't mind the drive) I would gladly volunteer.

You definitely started down the right path by posting here. Just keep in mind that these tanks are a journey, not a destination. People here can help keep you on the right path as wrong turns in this hobby tend to cost money.

One final note - keep an eye on these forums for used equipment. Whether new or used, never make an impulse purchase as you will always regret it (and likely pay way too much).

Have fun!

Brad