View Single Post
Old 05-11-2017, 04:08 PM
Vendor

JamRobo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcaneyedo View Post
Maybe I'm becoming old school but boosting Nitrate when its already around 20ppm to reduce phosphate which is currently unknown as a solution against film algae sounds horrifying. Whatever happened to suggesting a skimmer upgrade? A quality adequately sized skimmer/sump will do an excellent job of removing organic waste before it has the chance to break down into nitrate. Fish poop + uneaten food -> Ammonia -> Nitrite -> Nitrate. Skim out more Fish poop and uneaten food = less Nitrate with no risk of a chemical overdose, easier ongoing maintenance and stability.

When you know what your phosphate level is and if you decide that it needs to be lowered there are easy to use products like PhosDown and GFO that can do that reasonably safely and economically.
I agree with you 100%
Better skimming and possibly even a refugium is the way to go.

Once you get proper test kits for no3 po4 you can look into using red sea no3 p04 X or people call it nopox its bacteria that feeds on nitrates and phosphates, it also is used in many ways to eliminate algae and accelerate growth and colors of corals.
High accuracy test kits are a must.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk