View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013, 06:57 PM

Goatman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripsandfalls View Post
Full spectrum is basically entirely for coloration.

Advanced aquarist has a good review on fluorescence, and fluorescent pigments in corals. This has been thoroughly discussed in scientific literature (and continues to be discussed). (http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2006/9/aafeature) If you guys take a look at figure 2, it highlights the broad spectrum of wavelengths (both visible and UV) that fluorescent pigments in coral cover--the more of them we hit with our light's emission, the more vibrant our corals look.

In terms of growth, there are photosynthetic pigments that absorb into the visible as well (and even approaching the near IR... or well into the red), but the most common ones (the chlorophylls) absorb around the wavelengths that 'blue' and 'white' LEDs emit. http://reefbuilders.com/2010/08/23/c...nfrared-light/
Excellent, will have to do some more reading.

Quote:
The reason people switch back to T5 and MH light sources is because these lamps are broadband emission sources, so you're hitting both the growth wavelengths and the other visible wavelengths all with one lamp, resulting in growth AND pretty colors. LEDs are narrow band emitters (ie: they just hit specific bands), so including different colors of LED
helps with color rendition. LEDs have other advantages; smaller fixtures, run cooler, use less power, long bulb lifetime, etc.
All worthwhile advantages, as long as it is not at the expense of the corals.

Energy saved seems moot when every six months people seem to be upgrading

Quote:
As a guy who works on LEDs on the molecular level, I'm stoked about the technology. Sure there's room to grow, but people hanging onto MH and T5 systems may be a little afraid of change.
Wary of change maybe but not Scared. I prefer ...so far at least ... the look of MH over that of LED. Again its a trusted method and I have no problem saying it could be because I am used to MH. but I didn't switch to T5 over MH either. The look is not the same. LED is nice but again I don't think its there yet. Again, in Marine Aquaria the "next" thing is always pressed as more advantageous...it makes money.

Again...I'm going to try LED again and see....especially if it warrants it after reading.

But again, people are replacing their fixtures because itr is the newest thing, the newest thing is always pushed and "improved" periodically. Again, I am not as current with LED as you probably are, but It's not a mature tech yet....so again the developments will come rapid for the next little bit i would think.

I must say i like the Aesthetics above the tank with the LED pendants...its the inside i worry about. I have Orphek Pendants and Kessil a350's the adjustable ones....having them hanging down over my rimless tank would look awesome...if they make the livestock look good then I'll not hesitate in switching.