View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013, 04:49 PM

Pan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryos View Post
Something I've read on other forums say that the full spectrum is not mainly used to improve growth. You can have a perfectly healthy and growing coral under just Blue and White LEDs. However, they pointed out that there are some other photosynthetic pigments in coral that will will peak at other light wavelengths. By giving those pigments the wavelength they peak at, they will supposedly show better color overall.

Not my opinion, just something I've read. I'm still trying to decide whether or not the Full spectrum is worth it for my next upgrade. Personally tho, I've had a few coral change color on me with my current T5s, some of them came from Blue/White LEDs, some of them came from T5s. So I'm not sure what to believe.
LED does allow for a tweaking of the view able light for corals...thus the ability to alter their aesthetic....however I do no think that it can match a good MH and Actinics (Yet - and certainly in my opinion) .... But again, the problem with the rapid replacing of LED fixtures is to obtain the latest and greatest, as the tech is not mature. Thus as one aspect changes others do as well. I think LED will be the top due to all of the benifits it "WILL" have eventually. Even I will switch when they are there....I just don't think they are...proved i think by the continuous and rapid changes in development - eventually as the tech matures i think development cycles will slow....LED is hot in general and the tech improvements are great and rapid paced - in such an environment there will always be "reason" to upgrade I think - though I suppose if you are happy and don't want the latest and greatest - But the Marine Aquaria industry jumps on the new thing and pushes and pushes...it knows a cash cow when it sees one.

I am going to try a couple of LED pendants as sort of a spot lightning or highlighting effect....when i build the system as the pendants were free - so maybe I will convert. But the 'perceived" downsides to MH were never a problem for me.

I have seen as many people in support of LEDS as there are people who went back to MH,t5 from LEDS - Choice is good and there is an abundance of choice in lighting.

Many zooxanthellate corals have their bright colors because of a family of multi-hued fluorescing proteins. These pigments seem to be produced in response to a given light environment. The primary control on their production appears to be total irradiance level, and little evidence exists to suggest that the "k" rating of bulbs will influence their production. There is also a strong genetic component, although the specific aspects of fluorescing proteins and their respective genes have not yet been worked out. The color temperature of light bulbs most likely influences the perceived color of corals in a tank, with ultraviolet components enhancing highly fluorescent pigments. Certain bulb temperatures may have enough of their spectrum skewed in relative distribution that total irradiance with a given wattage may be affected, and thus total irradiance influencing the relative production of fluorescing proteins.

Above COURTESY OF http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-11/eb/index.php - it is an older article, and indeed more may have been learned on the matter.

http://www.nightsea.com/articles/publications/

Last edited by Pan; 02-26-2013 at 05:03 PM. Reason: And to think I was rambling more.....before the edit.