View Single Post
Old 12-22-2013, 03:58 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Forgot to mention that I run mine in TSM (tidal swell mode) limited to about 80%. Only time I change that is before a water change, I'll push the mode button to put them into NTM (nutrient transport mode), which essentially makes a wave using short pulses for most of the program. I guess what I'm trying to say is, bearing life, both dry & wet side may also depend on the mode you run them in & how long they run at 100%. Full power all the time is definitely going to wear them out faster. One reason with these pumps it's probably better to get the larger size (within reason) for your application & run it at lower power settings rather than have a smaller pump running at full power all the time. I have the same philosophy with LEDs, I run my DIY 10 watt multichips at a lower voltage rather than drive them at full power. Hopefully they will last a long time that way & they don't produce near as much heat. I often wonder when I see threads where folks build LED fixtures & are determined to drive the LEDs at maximum power. Get a few more LEDs & run them at a lower setting, less hassle & more likely to last.