Thread: low alkalinity
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2008, 09:02 PM

makana is on a distinguished road

As per:
"You really should have taken my advice and others here to just let the tank cycle normally."

To the best of my knowledge the tank had completed the cycle days before I added the soda. I have dosed nothing other than that one time trying to bring up the alk.

As Per:
"Remove any delicate species and give to a friend or LFS until your tank is healthy and cycled."

I have added no live stock to the tank due to the fact that I wasn't satisfied that the tank was stable and ready yet. The only livestock in the tank is an aptaisa that I havn't gotten around to killing yet and some stomatella snails that were living in the rock when I got it.

As Per:
"Why you started adding Soda to chase two point of Dkh on a new setup is beyond me, and why others instructed you to do so is baffling too."

I dosed because I figured it would be better to try and get stable water conditions now that the cycle had finished rather than after I add livestock. I didn't want to fill the tank with livestock and then have to worry about how to dose when they are consuming the nutriants from the water. I figure it is better to learn before lives are at stake. I also belive that you should always start out with ideal conditions in anything you do, rather than start out with less than ideal conditions and try to sort it out as you go. Maybe I'm wrong.

I have been testing all the levels every day and there has been no amonia or nitrite or nitrate for over a week. It wasn't until this morning that I had amonia and nitrite. If the stink was caused by die of from dosing would I not have had an amonia spike last night before the water change?

The stink was also there before the amonia spike. I am thinking that the algea has consumed the nutriants and began to die off and that is what caused the smell and clouded the water. I am also thinking that the ph was caused by CO2 so I have taken the lid off so that it has proper air exchange.

I just bought and installed a rio nano skimmer and it is now running with the carbon to hopefully remove the decaying matter.

I apreciate the experiance and knowledge that you have to offer. However, I don't apreciate you assuming that I would be so stupid as to have "delicate species" in a tank that hasn't cycled, and that I would be stupid enough to dose that tank and risk the livestock.

If I am doing anything wrong please let me know. I really don't want this to fail. I apreciate all the help I can get and do take all the replies I recive into consideration.