View Single Post
Old 03-22-2009, 05:18 AM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norstar View Post
I've been wanting a Clown Trigger for some time. I finally have an empty 50 gal. FOWLR looking for a tenant. I only have a few snails and hermit crabs in the tank.

I am looking for so pros and cons regarding this fish

Any help!?
First off a 50G is no place for a Clown Trigger unless its very temporary. For one they grow fast and reach about 13-16" and are very active. Two, the smaller the tank, the more aggressive they tend to get.

If you have to have one, I would find a small guy no more than 2" and have an upgrade planned for a few months later. Please be sure that the upgrade is absolutely possible though and not just a maybe. A clown will not be happy in a 50G. They are really no different from tangs in the sense that they need room.

Personally I think a 200G + FOWLR is really the only place for a Clown Trigger and even then, really a Trigger only tank. They are not compatible with many fish.

A good alternative would be an Undulted Trigger! Great little fish that only reach about 7". Need to be kept on their own or just with fish like damsels. So a species only tank. They make a great 50G though! Just make sure the filtration is good. Over the years, I have found Undys to be just as aggressive as Clowns really...there are always exceptions but you can't really count on it.

Last edited by GreenSpottedPuffer; 03-22-2009 at 05:21 AM.