View Single Post
Old 07-16-2012, 02:40 AM

04V10 is on a distinguished road
Default In the market for an HOB overlfow.. Flooding discussion

Hey guys,

I am shopping for an overflow box for my 20 gal, as I am currently building a 10 gal sump. Anywho, I have been seeing quite a few threads on people being freaked out about syphon break and how drilling the tank is the way to go (i agree on drilling btw however my tank is already up and running and I know there is no one around where I'm from that could drill it. I know I would break it..lol).

Here's my thought on the topic, and please someone chime in if there has already been a discussion on it. What I was going to do is simulate a syphon break, I would then monitor the amount the level drops in the chamber with the return pump, until the tank is about to flood over. I would then mark this level on the sump wall and mount the return pump so the suction is at or slightly above this level. This way, if the overflow box was to have a syphon break, the pump would try to continue to pump, however the level in the sump chamber with the return pump would drop to the point where the pump lost suction. This would prevent a flooding situation in my display tank and ensure that my hardwood flooring, as well as the gyprock on the roof in the lower level is not damaged.

I know that I would probably fry the pump if left too long, however, replacing a pump is so much cheaper than having warped hardwood flooring and replacing the roofing in the basement. lol.

Let me know what you think... Any other ideas would be great. thanks. Ooh and if anyone has a lifereef HOB overflow that they want to get rid of let me know..lol

Gary.