Thread: Garlic :)
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2007, 06:39 PM

midgetwaiter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert_dao View Post
Some reading:

http://www.health-reports.com/allicin.html

Also note that allicin, when generated from fresh Garlic, is unstable, and quickly turns into other sulphur containing compounds. Due to Allicin's instability it is difficult for garlic based products to contain and maintain an Allicin content. I'm sure we can put two and two together on this one.
Everybody go read Albert's link, twice. This should give you a better understanding of why this is a difficult question to answer.

Crushed garlic (delivering allin) has been used for thousands of years to dress wounds and it does help prevent infection, no question. It can not have anything to do with destroying ich through feeding, it would have to be applied topically. I believe Allin is too reactive and breaks down too fast to be delivered through the gut. It's not a good systemic medication, discard this idea completely.

Fresh garlic and a variety of garlic extracts have been shown to have some effect on the immune system. At present nobody has a full understanding of the mechanics. It is this idea that supports the idea of garlic being an effective treatment for ich. Immune boosters, anti oxidants etc. Think things like echinacia and Cold FX.

I don't know how sold I am on the idea that this works, I don't recommend it to people but I don't think it hurts anything either. A healthy fish that isn't being stressed in some way or exposed to an infected tankmate isn't going to have issues with ich. Even notorious ich "magnets" like powder tangs don't start showing symptoms for no reason. If you start seeing it, first fix the problem then fix the ich.

I don't use garlic because I have a variety of other methods at my quick disposal. IME nothing works on ich like hyposalinity.

One other thing I should note. It is possible that either fresh garlic or some extract products have an effect on certain internal (gut) parasitic conditions. There is some evidence to support the idea and I've found it to be somewhat effective with fresh garlic (allin). Some foods and garlic preparations also could be effective, others have had success.