View Single Post
Old 08-06-2016, 01:34 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Be careful with this stuff though - because of it's intended purpose it is made to be water resistant so it needs to be rinsed very, very well. Also, the Bayer sticks to things like coral skeletons and plugs, not so much the coral flesh. A common method is dip, rinse and swish repeatedly in a container of clean saltwater, then place in a second container of clean water and let soak for 30 minutes swishing occasionally. Randy Homes-Farley has confirmed that carbon will help remove the insecticides listed on the bottle, but who knows what the other 98% is that's listed as "other ingredients". Some guys with long term Bayer use have reported RTN episodes in SPS tanks and suggest it may be from using Bayer long-term or not rinsing well enough, but as usual in this hobby it's tough to say if it is the Bayer or something else going on.

I find the dip is actually gentler on Acros than CoralRx - even smooth skinned Acros. I've not used Bayer on anything except SPS.

My own procedure for SPS is this: Remove frag plugs and clip off any bare coral skeleton, premix dip at 10 mL per cup, add frags for 10 minutes gently squirting coral with turkey baster. Move frags to clean saltwater for 5-10 minutes, swish them around fairly roughly, squirt them with a clean turkey baster. Glue frags onto new plugs, and move frags to 5-gallon QT filled with fresh tank water. They hang out there on a rack with heater and powerhead overnight with carbon pellets in the bottom of the tank. In the morning I light them with an actinic T8 bulb all day, and if they look good they get moved into the display tank that evening when the tank lights are out. Also, the dip is milky so you can't see anything that comes off - I pour it through a paper coffee filter when I'm done and look at what is caught.

For a short period of time you could order this from Amazon.ca with free shipping, and it cost I think $25. There are a few options on Amazon.com and one has reasonable shipping to Canada - about USD$42 for product, tax, and shipping. It sounds a bit pricey, but if you use the same dosage I do (10 mL per cup of saltwater) this bottle will make 118 cups or a bit more than 31 gallons of dipping solution.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A2T7WSWA5C9AVQ

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 08-06-2016 at 01:58 PM.