View Single Post
Old 09-09-2010, 04:12 PM

Ron99 is on a distinguished road

This has come up a few times and sadly there are no suppliers in Canada. A few places could probably special order some but you'll probably end up paying more then you would just ordering yourself. Heatsinks are more difficult. I believe Heatsink US will ship to Canada but it is expensive. I found some used surplus heatsinks on eBay for less then half of what it would have cost to buy new. Also, check out nanotuners.com as they have LEDs (XP-Es and XR-Es which will be plenty of light for a small tank), drivers and optics at good prices as well as the adhesive thermal pads that make assembly far easier.

If you plan to use these in addition to your T5s then you could do two rows of LEDs, one in front and one behind the T5s which would probably be in the middle. If you are going all LED then add a 3rd row to the mix. Space the LEDs 2 to 2.25 inches apart and use 60 degree optics for that depth of tank. You can leave a bit of extra room at the ends (3 to 4 inches). So for a 24" wide tank I would use 8 to 10 LEDs per row. so that gives you 16 to 20 LEDs for two rows or 24 to 30 LEDs if you are going three rows. You can use the ELD 60-48 drivers. Each will drive up to 13 LEDs so for a 24 LED setup you could go with two drivers, one for blue and one for white. These are dimming drivers to so you could set up a nice sunrise/sunset effect with a controller of some sort. You buy the P or the D version depending on how you want to end up dimming them.