View Single Post
Old 03-09-2016, 04:50 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Near Nanaimo, look into Rathtrevor and/or Qualicum Beach provincial parks. Also maybe a bit inland but Little Qualicum Falls and Englishman River P.P.'s are great spots and not far things. Rathtrevor and Qualicum book up fast though so decide on your dates and look into reservations.

The cost of a ferry crossing to the gulf islands is stupid, but, Denman and Hornby Islands (north Gulf islands, and the jumping off point is French Creek) might be worth a visit. At one point there were sixgill sharks to be seen off Hornby if you went diving, although I think I've heard that they might not be there anymore.

There is a day use provincial park on Hornby, Tribune Bay, that on a nice day is almost incomprehensible that you're still in Canada and not somewhere tropical. White sand, sheltered cove full of boats at anchor, great snorkelling. Used to love going there on our V.I. pilgrimages but last few years have had to give it a miss on account that seriously, the ferry prices have gotten stupider than stupid (sorry BC'ers, hope I'm not being too mean, but seriously, holy crap them ferries!!). My advice is if it's sunny and warm, don't think about the cost, go to Hornby and see it at least once. If the weather is not exquisite though maybe save it for another time. Because ferries. Just hand them your wallet and shake it upside down until its empty, maybe they won't take your kidney..