View Single Post
Old 01-20-2018, 02:34 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Shark

Keep in mind tank size doesn't always equate length, or needed swimming space.
Rectangular tanks are best for Tangs if you are thinking about volume and smaller tanks.
A 3' 150g sounds huge, but a 4' 75g is better for swimming laps.
Tangs like to do 'bursts'. So the longer the tank the better.

For a Yellow tang I'd recommend at least a 4' tank for a juvi. Mine is reaching 4" and will need to be re-homed in a couple years, or sooner. Right now he's OK in my 4' 75g and I don't yet see any issues with him pacing. I hope to keep him for awhile longer, but with tangs and smaller tanks you need to consider their health as they grow. Once he starts pacing I'll be forced to re-home him.
Mine is already nearing my tank size. I watch him lapping the tank, that is to say he's nearly swimming from one end to the other in 'bursts'. Once I see he's running out of room it'll be time for a move.

So, the bigger the Tang, the longer your tank should be. Big tank volume is great, but a 'square box' is not best if you are size restricted. Ya?

Powder Blue tang 9" growth size. Holy crap thats huge for a 150g 4' tank. It'll be cramped for swimming space - probably get depressed and eventually die. Put it in an 8' tank and I'll bet you it's happy, or at least happier.

Use LiveAquaria online to get some quick stats on your fish picks, and over-estimate your requirements to be sure you have enough space.
Don't use their tank size recommendations as they are out of whack when it comes to tangs.
Keep the length longer with smaller tanks, or go big.

With all that said, Canreefers will tell you they've had success with smaller tanks and smaller fish. Sure, it's do-able. Just be prepared to deal with fighting, stress, and eventual re-homing.

Good luck with your new build. I hope you make it huge, or at least very long.