View Single Post
Old 01-11-2011, 09:41 PM

nlreefguy is on a distinguished road

My experience with HOB style skimmers is that they are usually a lot louder than in-sump models can be, maybe partly because the in-sump models usually sit in an enclosed stand.

I say go sump all the way and do yourself a favor and cover your stand even if you only do it to reduce noise levels, definitely worth it if you're picky about noise. You said it might be ugly if you do it, but just about any covering is prettier than the bottom of most people's tanks! I covered my own very well and I am nowhere near handy! Just some 1/4 inch plywood will do and you can even get the shop to saw it for you so you can just come home and tack it on and put some iron-on veneer on the edges. Even that is better than nothing. Put the door on as a panel with magnets if you suck at hinges.

I literally cannot hear the contents of my sump under normal conditions, or even the water entering and exiting. I still say that the skimmer is the loudest part of the system but I'm splitting hairs since I can't hear any of it unless I turn off every appliance in my house and nobody's home!

Not sure on the Tunze's by the way, but I have heard that they don't compare to the newest generation needle-wheels (e.g. SWC, Bubble Magus (I am currently running the NAC6A), Bubble -King, Vertex, etc). If you can, get a Deltec! Those things rock - best skimmer I ever owned was an AP701. Truly, the only piece of aquarium gear I EVER owned that I was totally happy with.