View Single Post
Old 09-11-2017, 10:29 PM
Gold Member

Frogger is on a distinguished road

Ok so I attacked it with a multi-pronged approach and I seem to have gotten it under control. The metronidazole as stated earlier only temporarily gives you relief. If you do not deal with the other issues it will just come back.

I added a UV sterilizer and kept my micron filter running. Believe it or not I started adding phosphates and nitrates to get my values up out of the basement. I have read that the Dynos are a low nutrient loving organism and competition is the way to go. Since adding phosphates and nitrates I have encouraged some hair algae and coralline algae to colonize the rock work. The hair algae is a lot easier to control with grazers. I am working at getting my grazing population up and everything should be fine. I still have a tiny bit of dynos but they are not actively growing.

This tank is an experimental tank and I use it primarily as a quarantine tank for new arrivals. I will be taking it apart completely trashing the rock and resetting it up as a frag tank in the future so I have nothing to loose and can gain a whole lot of knowledge from it.

Over the past 8 months I went from Byopisis to cyno to dynos and now I have some hair algae. The tank has a 6" plenum in it and has been set up for over 17 years. So nothing I do short of disassembly and removing the plenum will fix the problem.

The glory days of this tank was 12 to 15 years ago when it was stunning.