Old 12-13-2014, 04:14 AM
Vendor

eli@fijireefrock.com is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
sure...but thats not what i did lol
I wasn't specifically pointing fingers at you,it just maybe seemed that way

bacteria...organics

these are the two things about using dry rock....with a little help from mr science we know each of these can be manipulated , removed or added to

Yes of course so is everything else could be manipulated but I am simply giving advice on my product from my experience and others that used it.
Like I said above I will not go into specific details on how bacteria,lights,saltwater,temperature and chemicals come together

so why did my tank show no phosphates ( still doesnt ) , no amonia and no nitrates ?
I am not saying it will not work about what you have done as many done the same some with success and some not so much.For me as I sell and distribute the product will take it the safe way telling all my customers accordingly and we all know as the hobby progresses its always and I mean always best to take thing slow.
Doing testing on a product or how things work is another topic.

the same way live rock can or cant lol

nutrients can be imported ( hence why the rock has it anyways ) there fore it can be exported , simple carbon dosing can take care of that ( worked great for me ) but exporting nutrients isn't new technology its pretty darn documented on how well and what ways its removed.
Yes nutrient export is an old discussion and there is no right way of doing things but we always give advice on what we have gone through or seen others do with the open topic.
Carbon dosing is another discussion maybe another day.

the other is bacteria ...ill say this it would take chemicals to kill bacteria...simply drying the rock isnt enough to get rid of bacteria , may bring the population down but wont kill it completely as well..bacteria is not in short supply be it in a reef, in the air or anywhere for that matter
We are simply talking about aerobic and anaerobic bacteria specifically found in saltwater aquariums.Yes decent temperature swing will render some bacteria.Yes drying the rock will kill the bacteria but how much of it dies depending on how and how long you dry the rock,its like taking a fish out of the water,can you specifically tell me how long it will survive before death or maybe the first question would be what kind of fish are talking about as some survive minutes to an hour before death(same as bacteria)

to this day i havent got 1 pound of liverock in my tank , now yes the corals i add has bacteria and the bases they are on but in weight what do we have maybe 2 lbs....surface area isnt great on my toch stem but none the less bacteria is there lol

so how much bacteria does it take to convert amonia?

we use to say a lb per gallon .....some say 2 lol
That is a question with many answers and if your answer is right to you and works in your system doesn't mean it works in another system.
A simple example from my system.
I have 1300glns of water and about 1500lbs of rock that doesn't mean I could place 100 pcs of colonies in there with no issues,for me usually feed my rock for 2 weeks before a shipment then when a shipment arrives and place all these colonies in there I know for a fact that my rock is loaded with hungry bacteria....and have 0 affect on my fish or chemistry.

what if i told you i cant remember the last time i seen a person who had a tank crash due to not enough bacteria populatio ( not unless we go bacjk to the chemicals ) you would be hard pressed to stop the process if you tried lol.
True you would be hard to stop the process but none the less you will have an affect on that system.

so while i wanted to wait months , add all kinds of bleach and acids , go buy actual liverock etc.

when i did the math ( and its not just me , hit the chemistry forum on rc ) it didnt make any sense to me to go through any of this
No one is twisting arms to buy live or dry rock its simply a choice that people take.A choice of price,type and other things could be discussed another day.

def not for the inadvanced but def isnt the only way to do it either or the best lol
Like I said above especially in this hobby there are a ton of information and how things get done by each individual but there is nothing wrong with getting different views and making ones decision
WoW I had a long day at the office and man it feels good to talk reefing