View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 06:06 PM

msjboy is on a distinguished road

Not sure if 3Dprinters will ever be as mainstream as bubblejet printers simply because the majority of people don't have the spatial skills to do 3D /CAD modeling to begin with. Ask any joe to do a variable filet or a hyperbolic surface and they'll be stumped. They will be left to print out or do simple modifications to 3df files but that is probably about it. I think only the hobbyist/geeks, tool-die, industrial designers, model makers, CAD/engineers/architects will be the buyers of these devices.
One should be proud Vancouver was the pioneer of 3D printers ( stereolithography) with the VSE company 3D systems back in the mid 80's which still exists today. I had a chance to do a model with their technology but that stuff was totally toxic and would warp under its own weight on larger pieces. However, come 25 years later, I am not sure if the supposed ABS plastic will have the same engineering characteristics for a proper injection moulded grade ABS plastic ( eg. higher thermal, flex etc ). Also, ribs on the layers leaves much to be dersired. On the bright side,
3D printer technology will supposedly be used to built cheap houses for 3D world countries ( use foam/cement like material) and supposedly types of food....

msjboy

Go to news.com and read more if those are interested... use" 3D printers" as keyword.