View Single Post
Old 02-02-2018, 05:08 PM

CHEAPREEF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKoKoMan View Post
From everything thing I have read and Myka’s reply, I believe it is a bacteria based slime. Unfortunately my 150g has a heavy bioload, so it makes it difficult to control nitrates even with biweekly 15% WC. I read a lot written by Randy Holmes-Farley on the topic of carbon dosing and bacteria populations. Yesterday I decided to swap out my NOPO-X bottle and use only vinegar as a carbon method. I’m hoping the combination of carbon sources found within the NOPOX product was contributing to the slime. Fingers tossed that the vinegar won’t continue to boost the slime and it will supply energy to a different bacteria.

I am going to try and take another kick at chaeto in my sump. I’m scared the slime will kill it off though. My wife wants me to fix the slime issue so it doesn’t present in the brand new system. Obviously I want nothing more then to rid the slime as well.
Oh right forgot you dose carbon.
About 4 days ago I did complete tare down of the sump and all plumbing, did a really good scrubbing and a 25% WC. I stopped dosing any AA's or Bacteria additive and went with straight DIY 2 part dosing instead of the ATI Essentials. Also go thte wife to stop using sented candles and any spray cleaner we currently use for the next 10 days or so.I have read air contaminants can cause this as well. Specifically cleaners that contain alcohol, there is a article that uses Dr. Tim's waste away to rid there tank of the slime only after finding the source was a cleaning product used by the tank.
I should know in 3-4 days if any of that helps or cures the issue. I'll post back and let you know if I make any headway, this stuff really sucks to clean every week.