Thread: Herbie help
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2010, 07:00 PM

rjengen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Ya, my Herbie needs adjustment every once in awhile, and anytime I clean the pump or strainers. Finding the exact balance I have found to be nearly impossible, it will only last a day or two and then it will get out of whack and you will get air in the Herbie line and it creates a loud sucking sound. Then you adjust it, and some goes down the e-drain.

Anyway...I find it operates the best (easiest, quietest) when you have a trickle going down the e-drain. For that reason, I keep the e-drain submerged so there isn't a tinkle sound. If the Herbie gets plugged and all the flow is going down the e-drain or at least a large portion it will have that loud sucking sound too, so you don't have to worry about not hearing it when you submerge the e-drain.
Are you using a gate valve, knife valve, or a quarter turn valve? I haven't adjusted my herbie since this spring & I'm using a 1.5" spears gate valve. If the water level goes up in my overflow I know it's time to change a filter sock. Something I wish I would have done when I built my tank though, is added at least one more hole in the overflow, so I could run wires in through it for my lights and simu-sticks...next tank I will do this! I kinda think having flow go through your E-drain kinda defeats the purpose of the herbie...but that's just a noobs thought.