View Single Post
Old 11-19-2016, 01:08 AM

e46er is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simons View Post
I have my saltwater tank on a dedicated 12 Amp circuit. Not sure 'two' separate ones are needed, if your power is out for example, it's out. I don't think your total load 'should' be more than 12 amps!
day to day no thats a lot of juice.
but after a power outage on a tank that big he will probably have 1200W of heaters and if the tank temp drops 5-6 degrees after a good outage, when power comes back on all the heater kick in pumps lights ect hes well over the 15A a regular circuit will handle.

split everything evenly or at least have a powerhead and heater on a second circuit.

My 250 I have both LED light fixtures a heater and a power head on one and then the apex on the other running everything else.
the LED have their own controllers and they throw nothing for heat so I couldnt see using 2 apex outlets for them and i could care less if that circuit trips for any reason that the fish are in the dark until I could get there but if the 2nd circuit running EVERYTHING else blows I still have some heat ( not enough but it will probably give me hours and hours of extra time before the tank drops toooooo much in temp.) and circulation

its not only about the power draw its also redundancy becuase anyone with any time invested in this hobby will testify bad sh*t never happens when your home its middle of the night or 10 min after you walk out the door to go to work.

not ragging on you at all just food for thought!

Owner of Mountain Ridge Heating and Gas
Class A gas fitter, HVAC