View Single Post
Old 07-13-2010, 05:17 PM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
I remember seeing that question, I thought it had been answered.

When I packaged corals "professionally" we had the odd package that would "get lost" in shipping. We had one particular Greyhound package that got lost in the winter months (in BC) for 5 days, and both fish and coral survived. Not to say that is typical, but I always pack to assume the package will get lost. When shipped from overseas, packages are often in transit for 18-48 hours, sometimes quite a bit longer, and that's not including however long they sat in the package before they got their plane papers with the date and time on them. They ship the same way we do, except usually with less water and smaller bags.
Happy to see your advocating good shipping practices Myka, I have read far to many horror stories about people just being plain lazy resulting in problems. If you take the time and effort not only do you prevent head aches in the future but you ensure the health and safety of the livestock (And in the end that's what really counts).

As a tip placing a small amount of activated Carbon in the bottom of your bag will greatly help for shipping that takes more than 24 hours (Such as shipping from the states).