View Single Post
Old 05-25-2007, 02:12 AM

ClubReef is on a distinguished road

Christy - Balling Method in my understanding is simply a 3part dosing regiment that is extremly popular in Europe and NAmerica. I use the trusted Randy Holmes-Farley 3part recipe. I purchased my Chemicals locally in Calgary but I'm sure it's readily available in Edmonton. This is where i buy my stuff.

Dow flakes (CaCl) from Univar. Check to see if there is a Univar warehouse in Edmonton..Folks in BC are not able to buy directly from them, but you might luck out since you live in AB.

NaHCO3 is simply arm and hammer. I always bake it at 350F for at least 1hr (to relase C02 which will make your pH basic)..then store it. When I need to mix it up, I'll nuke in the microwave prior to mixing (stuff will disolve much better heated). Univar also carry bulk NaHC03 that is food grade.

Mag Flakes or MgCL is also available at Univar..this stuff will last you forever if you buy the 50kg bag.

Mg Sulfate is simply Epsoms salt that you can buy at any local drug store. I've used the Rexall brand. (you need this to counter balance the Chloride in MgCL..Randy explains this in his document)

Use Randy Holme-farley instruction and the dosing calculator. The advantage of this system is it's extremely cheap (forget those pre-bottled additives in an SPS tank) but will require manual dosing unless you invest in a dosing unit.

I hope this helps

Darryl