Thread: Corals dying
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2013, 02:24 AM

Seriak is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmak View Post
From what I've been reading your Alk is a bit high and Ca is a bit low for running pellets. This alone shouldn't be causing the issues though. Are you feeding everything heavily? This is important when using pellets as they strip it all out quite quickly. Is your reactor a recirculating type? Too much flow through the reactor can introduce too much of the mulm they talk about. It might be worth adjusting your Alk and Ca, feeding heavy, and turning down your reactor's output for a while and see what happens.

I too have started pellets recently and did noticed some coral decline initially. I converted my reactor to a recirculating type and started feeding more fish food and more coral food (reef roids) and things turned around quickly.

I'm no expert, just sharing some info I've read and some things I've tried.
That is what I thought a while a go and I started to feed more but the algae growth in my tank is starting to cover my zoas and coralline. This is what leads me to think too much nutrients.

I also just cleaned out my salt water bin. There was a small covering of black algae inside that is now gone. Maybe that was contributing.

I have increased my Ca dosage by double but it's still not climbing very much. I guess I will have to turn it up a notch again.