View Single Post
Old 04-08-2011, 09:37 PM

Lysa.anne is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarstar View Post
Hello I'm a new member, (sounds like AA) i have a question to pose to the reefer community: Is Ultra Violet light beneficial to my tank? Here is my rational behind the question:

1) Silica Glass (most glass) does not transmit UV light (or very little), hence you cannot get a suntan indoors.

2) the amount of UV light at the equator, most coral reefs, is about 1000X higher than at the north pole (the south pole has a man made ozone layer hole)

3) My Maxspect G2 LED's produce a focused yet wide array of light wavelengths that include the UV -A,B,C as well as visible.

4) If i take my glass lid off the tank it will evaporate more and i risk losing fish to Tank Jump Suicide.

So fellow reefers what should i do? take the cover off and give full reign to my overpriced LED's or continue down this path of salt creep and a UVless tank?

PS Dont buy G2's they have no controller or dimmer, I thought in this day and age that would be standard, apparently not in China.
I use a glass top as I have a suicidal cleaner wrasse. We also lost a lot of water to evaporation without it.
I'm open to going without though, as it would mean less cleaning off salt from the glass.