View Single Post
Old 03-04-2017, 02:03 AM

DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road
Post DKoKoMan's 150g Reef Tank

Hey Folks,

I have decided to attempt to create and share a thread on my new 150g reef tank. I purchased the DT and Sump from a local Edmonton Reefer in December, 2017 as he no longer had the time to keep up with the hobby. I am in desperate need of a larger tank as many of my fish are at the larger sizes and they need the space. The build officially started late January 2017 as I am in the middle of my basement development and trying to balance both. The DT is 60" long, 24" wide, 24" high and the sump is a 50g (single baffle setup). The tank and Sump are nothing special but they should work well for me.

I have ran my 75g mixed Reef for over 6 months, I can honestly say that I have had many ups and downs. My love of diving and the ocean has kept me grounded and I absolutely love the saltwater fish. The wife has even grown fond of the tank (she has taken the time name them and feed them).

The goal for this setup is to setup a mostly SPS tank (although I will make room for some select LPS pieces and zoas). The initial moving the tank in to the basement was a struggle. I left it in a corner and didn't do much with it as i designed the overall layout for the basement.

Here is the tank as it stood for about a month (don't mind how dirty it is). I spent a couple hours cleaning the tank completely inside and outside in between my shift work.

Here is the sump (also dirty) and the cut plumbing as everything was setup with no disconnect.

Everything was pretty standard and I needed to come up with a plan on how to keep everything simple and easy to maintain. I decided right off the hop that the tank stand was not high enough for viewing pleasure. I ended up adding to the plywood and 2x4 base to provide that extra height.

Stay tuned for an *update* as I need to find the time for next write up.