View Single Post
Old 02-25-2019, 04:46 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_Dicosimo View Post
My house has hrv, and I'm planning an air conditioner this summer. I'm hoping that I won't have any problems. Leaving a window open full time is not an option. It was -40 with wind this morning lol.
With an HRV you'll be fine. Even better with AC.

When I moved into my current house, halides were still the thing and I did have humidity problems in winter and I think I only had the 75g and a 72g at the time. But the halides, beautiful as they were, and the fans to keep temps regulated, literally pumped water into the air. I had to admit defeat, and put in an HRV. It literally solved the problem overnight.

Now that I know what an HRV is and what it does, I want one in whatever house I live in, tanks or not, they're just really useful.

When the 280g went online I ran 3x400W Radiums. It was a sight to behold, but, that HRV for sure earned its keep, never had a problem.

Nowadays though I run a 280g with mostly LED and some T5, and between that and the terrariums, vivariums and my other indoor jungle, there's still so much less humidity than with the halides, that I only need the HRV on pretty much the lowest setting.

With the latest cold snap, I do get some frost on the windows overnight (the main problem is the window coverings trap humidity) but when I open the blinds in the morning, the windows are defrosted and dry within half an hour.

Nowadays my humidity problems come from my 13 year old having luxurious 45 minute hot showers. The bathroom becomes Costa Rica. I don't think there's an HRV capable of fixing the root cause of this, though.