View Single Post
Old 05-08-2017, 05:04 PM

Bblinks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichKlit View Post
Hello everyone,

Great site!! I'm brand new to the SW reef tank hobby and I just bought a 14 gallon biocube that was set up for SW, and I have a few questions if someone with more knowledge wouldn't mind helping?

1. The tank came with fake rock the guy didn't know what kind but said they were version 2.1. They are kinda purple and look pretty good. My question is can I mix them with live rock? I want to get the whole biodiversity with live rock? Or should it be only live rock or all fake rock? Also where can I get live rock?

You can mix them no problem but try to keep it the same style of rocks or else it will look out of place.

2. The tank came with 1 to 1 1/2 inches of sand. Is this enough? Should I take it out and buy new stuff? Or just leave it alone?

I would use new sand but if the tank looks good then just leave it.

3. Once the tank is cycled what should I add first? Fish, shrimp, snails, corals?

Fish first, corals (varies on what you want but stay with the easy ones at first), snails then shrimps (more sensitive) go slow. BTW Everyone is different, some like to put in the clean up crew before hands, to each of its own.

4. Should I clean the whole thing inside and out before I start setting it up? If so what should I use to clean it?

If its running with water don't clean it just regular maintenance but if it's dry than go ahead and clean it up but you will be going through a cycle.

Any additional tips would be greatly appreciated.
Just go slow and not stuff your tank with everything you want at once.
Happy reefing.

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013