View Single Post
Old 04-27-2010, 05:54 PM

wickedfrags is on a distinguished road

ORA exports fish into Canada using UPS? How does canadian fish and wild life inspect them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWorldAquatic View Post
Great Article

Most couriers will not ship live animals overnight, they don't want the responsibility of deaths.

UPS will (Our ORA shipments arrive by UPS), but under the conditions they are not responsible, ORA agrees to replace any fish that die. I spent many hours one the phone when UPS decides to delay the shipment.

Westjet/Air Canada are the fastest, but you WILL pay for this speed, unfortunately they have a minimum shipping rate, so if you are shipping only one box, it will be expensive.

As for greyhound, I wouldn't waste my time, unless you pay the $15 "next bus out" fee, your package could sit in their station for up to 24hours. I don't think anyone has recieved a package from us without the packaging damaged once yet.

One of the biggest problems for shipping is keeping a stable temperature, and ammonia buildup.

You can reduce that in fish, by not feeding then a day or 2 prior to shipping, or a few drops of any product for reducing ammonia will be effective for livestock survival, we like to use a product called AcclimMax, works quite well.

Also ship early in the week and keep track of weather forcasts. Early in the week so that if something does happen, the package isn't sitting in a warehouse over the weekend.

Always prepare for the worst, we try to pack livestock for a minimum 48 hour trip.

Ken - BWA