View Single Post
Old 07-18-2007, 02:30 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik_101 View Post
Yes. Anything over 420-425 ppm is way to high of a calcium level. Corals need calcium to survive especially SPS.
ok your confusing me with the wording of your reply, the two sentences, kinda contradict each other.

anyways I didn't answer your last question about can it be to high. depends what you are after. anything over 380 to 400 to me is a waist of money and time, but if you have a tank that sits at 440 and all your other levels are fine and your happy with growth, ect... then why fight it.

with my tank I found I could run 1/2 the co2 to maintain the Ca level at 380 as compared to when I ran it at 420, so this would also translate to less reactor media also. and even though I was using less media I was getting faster growth. also the lower Ca let me push my alk up to 13 which made my colors simply amazing.

the only situation I think that would be immediately harmful "to high" would be that if you had your Ca level so high that it forced your alk way to low as they work opposite, if your a little to high it may have long term effects from stress but there are so many variables that it would be hard to prove.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.