View Single Post
Old 12-31-2014, 04:47 AM

jason604 is on a distinguished road
Default My In Wall 110g Tank build

So after 2 years of having my first reef tank(75g). I made plenty of mistakes such as placement, terrible rock work, massive negligence, very long process of doing water changes I have decided enough is enough. Old tank was right beside 3 windows so it was being blasted by that yellow sun on the daily so I can never fully escape algae. After buying a 110g 5 ft tank I told might as well do it once and do it right. So I decided that I would do a in wall tank system. The place where I'm putting the tank has a small room that the previous owners used as a laundry room so I have access to water for easy water changes and can fit a sink in there.

Here's the closet that I'm tearing apart to put my tank inside. Mom was pretty choked lol. She had to find another place for all her pantries and things.

Here's the small room. I wore down the wall

Here's pic from where the front of the tank will be. I'm think of leaving all the stud from the small room to the closet intacted because it's a load bearing wall. 16" between each stud should be enough for me to maintain my tank. For the 3 studs on the closet wall will need to be cut in order to put the tank in. I will cut those 3 out then use two 2x4 and brace it horizontal from one end to the other above where my tank will be. I will need to move my electrical switches over to the side a bit and I will build a stand within the closet space and just slide the tank into place. Tank is about 400lbs or so thought so stand will have to be build extra strong. My tank is 1/2"

Tomorrow I will cut and brace the studs.