View Single Post
Old 03-22-2008, 04:53 PM

Big Al's BC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by untamed View Post
Big day today. Spent nearly 3 hours replacing all my bulbs. I've got to Geisemann 13000K. A job that should take 5 minutes takes 3 hours in part because of the foolish design of the Aquamedic light fixtures. Changing the halides and flourescents requires removal of 20 screws on each fixture.

Is it Aquamedic's fault?...or my fault?...or just the way it is?.... I cannot get a 250W MH DE bulb to go into the fixture!!!! It might take me 30 minutes or more of fighting with the bulb to finally get it to click into place. I break the ceramic tab on the bulb about 50% of the time.

Very frustrating job and I'm glad I don't intend to do it more than 1x per year. So far, I'm happy with the look the new bulbs are providing.
Yes, changing the bulbs on an Aquamedic fixture is intense. Did you access all the bulbs from one end? You should only have to remove the far side panel, then slide the lenses down one end. Same with the fluorescents. It is very easy to damage the sockets when you are putting the bulbs back. We use a tiny slotted screwdriver to spread open the socket while inserting the bulb. Makes installation a lot easier. Obviously this is with the power off!
Depending on the age o your fixture, some of the sockets have been known to arc with the failure of the retaining clip in the socket. If you think the bulb change is painful, wait until you need to replace a socket!

Big Al's BC