Thread: New tank
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2013, 03:55 PM

Gallivanting1 is on a distinguished road

I started my 30 gal tank about 8 weeks ago and you are correct - there is a lot of education and research that goes into saltwater vs fresh. My sand would not settle so I put the filter I had with my freshwater tank on - minus the carbon and it settled in a day. I put in 25 lbs of live rock and after a week I added a couple of hermit crabs because all my tests were within the acceptable limits. After another week they were still alive and kicking so I added some zoas. After a month I put in two clown fish and they are also doing well. The rock has developed some really nice color and polyps are springing up. I have left the filter on because the fish really like to swim through the waterfall it creates. The trick to the tank is patience. Add things slowly and continue to test. With a 30 gal like mine I really watch the bioload and don't overfeed. While I wait I like to research what my tank can accommodate and - very important - who will get along with who. Yesterday I added a blue brittle starfish and an urchin to help with algae cleanup and they are doing a bang up job. If in doubt about what you're doing, check with a lfs and they should be able to help you out. Good luck and enjoy!