View Single Post
Old 03-14-2012, 07:29 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough
Default Who else is suffering as I am?

Anyone else have a stockpile of tools they can't use?
Big sob story, wah wah wah, but here we go.
We bought a rental house 12-14 years ago and I converted the garage into a wood-working shop ( I already had a pretty significant stockpile of mechanics tools to boot ).
I bought thousands upon thousands of dollars of gear. Table saw with a sweet 52" fence, router table, compound mitre saw, drill press, built a disc sander, installed custom central vac system with ports at every location, built a bunch of jigs and such. A 16' continous table from drill press through mitre saw and past router. Single phase heaters, 12 outlets and 20 x single 4' fluorescent lights in a 16' x 21' footprint. I even found a donator fridge for food and drinks, brought in a cheapo quad speaker stereo, installed an alarm, window bars, insulation including the roll-up door, ceiling, walls, 100A sub-panel. It was a cosy place to roll into after work and play for awhile until the wife was finished her afternoon shift.
We ( the wife and I ) built some oak, beech, and birch furniture for our house, some for gifts, some just for fun, whatever ....
Then, about a year into it, she buys her dad's '69 Camaro RS/SS and it goes in MY garage. I can't complain much as he bought it new and it only had 69K miles on it. It's been there ever since. ( it still only has 70K miles on it today ).
So here I am trying to build this 75g system. I'm drilling in the basement over a garbage can so I don't have to vacuum.
I'm sawing in the laundry tub. I'm using a jigsaw on my hands and knees 'cause it's too cold to break out the plastic saw horses and go outdoors.
I'm using the jigsaw 'cause I don't have a stable enough surface to use my $250 circular saw. I'm pulling my graying hair out as I cut inferior lines in whatever I do, and am trying to love it as I can't afford to build a garage in our backyard.
And the 3 or 4 times every summer ( due to weather and schedules )that we take the Camaro out are not doing much for me at the moment.
Sigh, I can't be the only one suffering from lack of shop space.
And don't rub it in Grizz, I've seen your shop in pics.