View Single Post
Old 08-03-2017, 03:58 AM
Gold Member

Frogger is on a distinguished road
Default Controlling dinoflagellates with Metronidazole

My problem with dinoflagellates started about 5 months ago. At that time I have bryopsis that I had had for at least 10 years (tank has been running for at least 15 years). 5 months ago I treated my tank with Fluconazole to control the bryopsis. The fluconazole killed all the bryosis. After about a month I got cyno. I tried heavy skimming large water changes etc to no avail. I eventually used chemiclean to control the cyno.

Then after a month along comes dinoflagellates. They came with a vengeance and covered everything. I would remove the dinos and they would be back in 15 minutes. I was manually removing dinos at least 2 times a day and still making no progress. I tried large water changes and still no success. My corals in the tank were receding fast. Dinos release toxins in the water. I had these corals in the tank for over 10 years. I have another tank that is doing fine and I have copies of all my corals. This tank has been a bit of an experiment. I read up an article on using Metronidazole to control dinos.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/wi...dazole.254861/

Apparently it affects the ability of the dinos to multiply. I added a magnum micro filter and blow off the rocks a couple times a day. I change the filter every 3 days.

I am on day 7 of a 10 day treatment with Metroplex (Metronizide) adding about 15gms per 10 gallons of tank water daily. It is amazing the dinos are almost all gone and the polyps of the corals are opening up. It has been a month since the polyps opened up. I am hopeful that it will do the job.