View Single Post
Old 01-23-2016, 12:39 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Don't we design sumps to specifically get rid of microbubbles from the skimmer? I personally would hate my display tank to be full of microbubbles. I would also imagine the glass lids would have to be cleaned daily to get rid of all the extra salt creep. Sounds like something that was designed by someone without a lot of real world reefing experience and came up with what seems like a "good idea" in theory but impractical under real world applications. Designers should have discussed this idea with experienced reefers before investing their time, money & effort designing and building a gimmick that is really a waste of resources. Aesthetically, reefers want clear water to view their fish and corals through, not tanks filled with microbubbles.

(In case I haven't been clear) Personally, I would NEVER try this out in my tanks.

The constantly bursting microbubbles would leave salt everywhere, including my glass tops and my LED lights, corroding the lights prematurely. When you increase the salt creep effect, you'll gradually lower the tank's salinity as your auto top off only adds freshwater while the bubbles are popping out salt onto your walls, glass tops, rim, eurobracing, hanging lights, etc.

If you're worried about your skimmer not pulling out enough gunk from the water, get a better skimmer, not add a bubbling gimmick into your display.

Before you invest in this gimmick, go buy or borrow a cheap bubble wand used in fw aquariums and add it to the front of your tank on the sandbed and plug in an air pump. This will give you an idea of the "look" you'll achieve with lots of small bubbles in your display and the amount of extra mess and salt creep you'll end up with from bursting microbubbles.

Last edited by SeaHorse_Fanatic; 01-23-2016 at 12:49 AM.