View Single Post
Old 03-20-2020, 05:33 PM

untamed is on a distinguished road
Default Still there..

Well...the tank is still running. Most of the fish are approaching 15 years in there now. By most accounts, it still looks lovely....but I know it is not what it once was.

However, due to my planned retirement and interest in extended travel, I've decided to shut the tank down. That is not a simple thing to do. I'm trying to dismantle it in parts while it is still operating.

I have removed the ca reactor and no longer do any kind of Ca supplementation. I expected this to lead to coral death, but nothing has really changed. That was done about 3 months ago.

I have been removing rock and coral from the display for many months now. The idea behind this is to free up enough space in the tank to catch fish so they can find new homes. With all the rock and coral in the display originally, catching a healthy fish would be nearly impossible.

Many of the rocks in the display are now significantly larger than they were when they went in. Many hours have been spent with a hammer and chisel whacking off sections. These need to get small enough to lift out the top of the tank. More work needed in this regard.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436