View Single Post
Old 03-19-2013, 02:50 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalWeight View Post
Right, because the sole purpose of a fuge is nutrient transport and the removal of nitrates. Looking through your tank journal, looks like you went with pellets over having a fuge. Is one method deemed as better than the other?
Well, I wouldn't necessarily say that it's the sole purpose of a fuge. A lot of people set up fuges to help grow/culture pods as well. Mind you I haven't found a need to run a fuge to grow additional pods either. They seem to do a fine job populating my DT even with strict pod hunters like my three pipefish and Mandarin.

Ya, version 1.0 of my sump had a fuge because I planned on that being my nutrient export method. I quickly found that chaeto didn't grow all that well In there tho (for reasons unknown to me). And then 6 months later BioPellets came out and I gave them a shot. They pretty much worked for me right away. It was at that time that I decided I no longer needed a fuge so scrapped my sump and built a new one without a fuge in favour of a larger reactor chamber to house a larger BioPellet reactor.

Anyway, lots of people use fuges with success but if you already plan to run BioPellets you may be negating a fuges nutrient export function.