View Single Post
Old 12-09-2013, 03:29 AM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

Not much progress on the build... sigh... but Xmas is coming and I've made my list!

After reviewing my build log I seen to have forgotten to introduce myself... LOL.

My name is Warren and I live in PoCo. I am a gasfitter and welder by trade. I've been into aquariums for about 30 years, however I've only had freshwater tanks. Community tanks, brackish tanks, predator tanks... I've tried them all. The only freshwater species I haven't tried, and that I desperately want is a mixed Gar tank... but alas... I don't have the room for a 300gal+ set-up. One day.

I am finding this forum to be a great resource. I've learned a lot and enjoy trolling around and reading posts. I am starting to regret getting the Aqueon 65gal with megaflow, especially after seeing the work Concepts can do! It will have to do for now. I am planning on going with a Herbie, with the return over the back. I could drill... but frankly I don't wanna.

My original idea for the stand included a liquor cabinet built-in with a glass door and glass shelves right next to the tank, making the overall length 54 inches (18" doors x 3). However, this made it a pretty tight fit for the space and the wife and I nixed the idea. Now I am planning a 48" steel stand with an inside top to bottom clearance of 32 inches, putting it just higher than the counter tops. Skinned in cabinetry matching our kitchen. Since the tank is 36" I will have an extra 6 inches each side for granite shelves. Hope to have the stand fabbed up just after Christmas.

My sump design is not finalized. Single chamber, bubble trap, fuge, I dunno. Still figuring it out. I look at The Grizz's sump and I almost wet myself! Definitely going to run carbon, GFO, and pellet reactors. I was thinking of getting a big ass pump and tee-ing the reactors off the return. I also want to run a chiller and UV off this line as well, but not sure if one pump could handle all the load. Probably going to run a ZeoVit system in the future, but that's down the road a bit.

Lighting is still a huge undecided decision. I really like the Hydras for my LED choice but I am reading really great things about T5's for SPS. ATI's dimmable Sunpower seems like a good choice but not sure if you can control them with an Apex system... oh yes... did I mention I'd like to run a Neptune controller too?

Wow, look at me, blah blah blah. How can you tell the wife is at work? I'm really excited about getting this tank going (in 2014) and getting some frags from the local guys and gals. Wasn't able to make it to Bblinks meet and greet a few months back but I am looking forward to the next one! Any and all input on my build is welcome, even if you think I am doing something wrong.

Cheers for now.