View Single Post
Old 08-17-2008, 05:55 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie View Post
I noticed a difference when I added the bubbleking. It noticably improved the water clarity
That's the only thing I've ever really noticed with the use of skimmers. That and they help with nutrient buildup (production of phosphates and nitrates primarily), which is indispensible in an SPS tank where a nutrient poor environment is the goal.

I have found though, that if you keep a healthy population of fast growing corals that absorb nutrients out of the water readily (gsp, xenia, anthelia, etc) they can keep up with nutrient removal in the average "well maintained" and considerately stocked tank. I prefer to use gsp as it's growth is easier to control - just keep it off the rocks. I've never kept clams, but I would venture to guess that it's likely they would contribute significantly as well. In fact, I have found that many LPS corals thrive BETTER without a skimmer, or at least with a crappy skimmer.

I didn't say any of that though...that's a can of worms that I don't normally care to discuss.

SPS fanatic.