View Single Post
Old 10-30-2014, 07:02 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark View Post
is BC Hydro billing peak and off peak rates with the monitors?
To the best of my knowledge, the billing scenario has not changed with the switch to smart meters. The 'monitors' for personal use are fairly new & need to be registered in order to work with your smart meter. They have a hardware MAC which needs to be approved by BC Hydro in order to communicate with the smart meter. The 'gateway' connects to your router through a standard ethernet cable. It also needs to be configured to work on your home network. I think the monitor works without having to be hooked up to a router & simply displays meter data with no other functionality. I can get most of that info already by simply logging on to my BC Hydro account & viewing the usage graphs there.

In my area, BC Hydro bills on a tier system as opposed to peak/off peak. This was an issue of contention for customers before the switch to smart meters, with BC Hydro promising they would not implement peak/off peak billing. It will be interesting to see how long that lasts. The screenshot below shows the residential conservation rate I am billed under. My rate is 7.25 cents/kWh up to 1354 kW. Once I exceed 1354 during the billing period, the rate increases to 11.27 cents/kWh. Time of day has no effect on the rate.