View Single Post
Old 03-05-2018, 12:42 AM

Llorgon is on a distinguished road
Default Newbie 75 gallon

Hey everyone,

Recently got out of freshwater and trying my hand at full time reef keeping!

I started about a year ago with a 10 gallon and it has gone... Well, honestly its gone to shit. Over last summer I skipped some water changes and I got overrun with bubble algae then I got rid of the bubble algae and got red slime. I was shocked how fast it spread and I lost most tank inhabitants. I have a snail, 4 hermits and 3 corals left

So now that I know what not to do. I can hopefully make a whole new set of mistakes with the 75 gallon!

My plan is to have the tank as a mixed reef. And keep the 10 gallon as a quarantine/frag tank. I'm not sure what sort of fish I'm going to add. The wife says she wants clown fish. So I guess there will be at least one clown fish. So pretty open to fish ideas.

I picked up a 75 gallon setup from a member here for a great price. So I have a tank, stand, sump and return pump.

I still need

Heater - eheim Jager 200 watt

Skimmer - I'm guessing this is like freshwater filters and it's better to get a bigger skimmer than smaller.

Lights - my heart says LED, but my budget says t5

ATO - are there good and bad types of ATO pumps or will a cheap one do?

Sand - what are my options? I think I have only seen the bagged "live" sand.

Dry rock - I have some places in mind. What are some good places to get dry rock from?

Ro/di unit - parents have a extra one, just need to pick it up from their place in Kelowna.

Does anyone have recommendations on ATO units and skimmer?

I think I can get the lights last since I can start cycling without them.

I have two hydor koralia 1150gph powerheads. Will that be enough flow or will I need more?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk